Bulk Edit not using same filters as Default Images

Change 1000+ of WordPress Featured Images in 5 Minutes! Forums Questions and Answers Bulk Edit not using same filters as Default Images

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kermit Woodall
    Participant

I’ve got a complex setup for Default Images. Basically, use the first embedded image, or use an image assigned to a category, or use a general default image.

I can’t reproduce this in bulk edit as far as I can tell. Isn’t there some way for bulk edit to use the default settings?

Kermit Woodall

Martin Stehle

You can reproduce the settings of Default Images as well in Bulk Edit. It is not possible and not recommended to use all of the settings in one single run. Instead run the Bulk Edit several times with different configurations for each setting. That will be safe and quick.

Kermit Woodall
    Participant

In a site with tens of thousands of posts and with default settings covering dozens of categories and other conditions, this is really difficult to do.

Why would you not offer a mode to use the default settings?

Kermit Woodall
    Participant

Also, having to redo the Bulk Edit for each setting individually is a chance to make a mistake over and over again.

Martin Stehle

To redo a Bulk Edit process just store it at the end as a preset. On the start you can select that preset and run the process again with pre-controlled settings. You can even change the settings if necessary.

Kermit Woodall
    Participant

That would not help in this case. It’s just more work overall. If you review what I’ve described to you – you’d understand. I don’t think you quite see what a problem this is. This is what I would have to do since you don’t have a way for bulk edit to use the default settings.

Due to the number of posts – the following will have to be done six times as I must break all the date ranges down to no more than 3 years each.

1. Set any post without a featured image to a default image.
    2. Set any post matching category ‘x’ to its default image. Overwriting existing featured image. Repeat 12 times for each category.
    3. Replace the featured image with the first image embedded in the post.

…and again, this has to be done six times to get all the posts. Bulk Edit times out if I try to do more than three years worth of posts (due to the posting volume on the sites)

…then I have to do all of it three more times so all four sites are done.

Do you see the problem now? Do you see why presets won’t help?

Kermit Woodall

Martin Stehle

Presets can not reduce the number of runs but speed up every run due to pre-selected settings. You just need to change only the necessary options like the category and the date range.

The need for multiple runs per task is not a fault of the plugin but based on server limitations like timeout limits and available memory space. So it needs to run each task several times. I do not see any solution to trick out the server limitations.

You have several huge sites with thousands of posts. Just imagine what huge amount of time you would need without the plugin and compare that with the time you save with the plugin. I hope that let appear your work less tedious.

Kermit Woodall
    Participant

Martin – I’m not blaming the plugin – I’m just saying that the bulk edit SHOULD have a way to use the default settings as a method to select the image so that all the number of runs can be far less. The point of my previous post was to show you how unrealistic it is to expect someone to do that many loops.

Even once it’s pretty difficult. You’re talking 14 bulk edits vs one. Then multiply that by six and it’s crazy difficult – even with presets.

I use presets already. I know how to use your plugin. But this is a fairly obvious feature you should add – doing a Bulk Edit that can use the Default Settings is a use-case that would benefit a lot of users.

k

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Choose your currency:

Close
Converted prices are for reference only - all orders are charged in € Euros (€) EUR.
  • USDUS Dollars ($)
  • EUREuros (€)
  • GBPPounds Sterling (£)
  • CADCanadian Dollars ($)
  • AUDAustralian Dollars ($)
  • BRLBrazilian Real (R$)
  • INRIndian Rupee (₹)
  • CZKCzech Koruna
  • DKKDanish Krone
  • HKDHong Kong Dollar ($)
  • HUFHungarian Forint
  • ILSIsraeli Shekel (₪)