First image in post from facebook to be uploaded to WP and set as featured image

Change 1000+ of WordPress Featured Images in 5 Minutes! Forums Questions and Answers First image in post from facebook to be uploaded to WP and set as featured image

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Julian
    Participant

Hello,

I’m using IFTTT to post facepook page posts (with an image) to wordpress, which basically works. IFTTT adds the facebook image with the “< img src = “https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/…&#8230;..” />” Tag and the image appears.

Now what I would like is that external facebook image to be uploaded to WordPress and then set that image as the featured image of the post + have the external image removed from the post.

I hope QIFP could help me but I’m not able to set it up correctly.
    In the configuration it says

“Hinweis:
    Das aktuelle Theme unterstützt keine Beitragsformate. Jedoch kannst du das Plugin nutzen. Die Regeln werden gespeichert und werden in einem Theme, das Beitragsformate unterstützt, sichtbar.”

Now I don’t know if that is the reason but any help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards and thanks

Julian

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Julian.
    Julian
    Participant

Update: The manual mass-change feature does not recognize the external images from facebook either and thus does not offer to update the featured images.

I have used the option “Übernehme das erste externe Bild, lade es herunter und füge es in die Mediathek ein”.

Is it maybe because my license key is not properly recognized?
    I’m getting: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds when trying to active my license key.

Thanks

Julian
    Participant

Update 2:

After debugging the code I found the issue:

Inside class-quick-featured-images-pro-tools.php and class-quick-featured-images-pro-defaults.php the code is set to “delete the optional query string”. Now this may be fine in 90 % of the cases however for facebook images served by *fbcdn.net it appears to be absolutely necessary to keep the parameters in the URL.

I fixed it like this:

if ( $img_src ) {

// delete optional query string in img src

// ins-20180421-jsin: need to remove this for FB images to work because they have parameters…

if (strpos($img_src[1], ‘fbcdn’) !== false) {
    // image is served from facebook, skip default

$url = $img_src[1];
    }

//in this case, it’s not facebook, so let’s stick to default
    else {
    $url = preg_replace( ‘/([^?]+).*/’, ‘\1’, $img_src[ 1 ] );
    }
    // end ins-20180421-jsin

// default …: $url = preg_replace( ‘/([^?]+).*/’, ‘\1’, $img_src[ 1 ] );

// exclude images from current domain

For me this works and I can continue with my work. However it might make sense to integrate something special for this kind of images in the official code, what do you think?

Kind regards
    Julian

Martin Stehle

Thank you very much for that great insight. I was not aware of that in the case of Facebook images. You are right: for a large number of cases the query string can be omitted.

Indeed, after over thousand of customers you are the first one who pointed to that issue. So I am thinking about adding a new option to exclude the query string deletion or to implement that deletion automatically if fbcnd is in the image URL, silently for the user. I am tending to the latter because many of my customers do not understand such a very technical detail and they want the plugin just fulfill its job with ease.

Would you please provide an example of such a Facebook image URL? I would implement that feature in the next upgrade.

Julian
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, you’re most welcome.

Here is an example image from Facebook:
    https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30762730_2075624052725850_3475457793274675200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeGhAPAhULQ42D4n1HXmQiO1d3X5ywBSNbc_m1rPEpRHLDVrKj1SrRx1KooiWsxC46IDVGWfTOox8PgHxXPsIQHRqDru-s_DyhhpXQbjgBndEQ&oh=193b63ce38705fee6d3e3ba32ac51c2f&oe=5B699BDC

Regarding your two proposals:

I always prefer the most flexible way which causes least support effort. This is why I suggest implementing an option to define a user-editable list of servers or strings which trigger the exception in the code. Who knows, maybe this does not only affect facebook so if you hard-code the facebook exception you would always need to adapt it further if new services pop up. You could ship a default list of exceptions which includes “fbcdn” for example but let customers extend that list freely to each one’s own needs.

Maybe it also makes sense to include a hint pointing to this potential error source whenever the mass-changes do not yield a result of finding any external images in a post or page.

I hope this input helps and I’m looking forward to the update. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

One more thing: in my account on your page neither the license key nor the purchase appears. Is this just taking a bit longer or do I need to do any additional steps?

Kind regards

Julian

Martin Stehle

Finally: With the currently published version 8.4 you can set Facebook images as featured with ease. If you like the plugin I would be glad about your review.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Choose your currency:

Close
Converted prices are for reference only - all orders are charged in € Euros (€) EUR.
  • USDUS Dollars ($)
  • EUREuros (€)
  • GBPPounds Sterling (£)
  • CADCanadian Dollars ($)
  • AUDAustralian Dollars ($)
  • BRLBrazilian Real (R$)
  • INRIndian Rupee (₹)
  • CZKCzech Koruna
  • DKKDanish Krone
  • HKDHong Kong Dollar ($)
  • HUFHungarian Forint
  • ILSIsraeli Shekel (₪)