Future Featured Image

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vicki Mills
    Participant

I bought the plugin because I’m trying to set the first post image as featured image on about 100 imported posts. I worked through the settings and got the correct list of posts but then came upon this:

“Should the future images be set as featured images at all listed posts? You can not undo the operation!”

I clicked Apply, the list now has a pink background, the “Future Featured Image” column is gone, the “Current Featured Image” column is still there with “not set.”

The only option I can see on the page is “Start Again” so I thought maybe the images had been applied, but there’s no change to the posts. What am I missing here?

Martin Stehle

That is the correct way of the plugin. Does the “Future Featured Image” column have images?

Vicki Mills
    Participant

No, the Future Featured Image column doesn’t have images, and featured images aren’t set for the posts, which is what I’m after. I wonder where the plugin looks for the images. I uploaded them directly to the uploads folder so they do not appear in the media gallery, although they are visible on the posts. Would that make a difference?

Martin Stehle

Yes, that is a distinct difference. The images have to be uploaded into the media library before they can become featured images.

Martin Stehle

Maybe I can help you. Would you please tell the address of your website?

Vicki Mills
    Participant

http://arteriors.wpengine.com/blog/. I set the first featured image manually. This is the first time I’ve moved a blog from one installation to another and I thought uploading the images to the uploads folder would do the trick. But while they appear properly on the site, they aren’t in the media gallery. I thought your plugin would automate the process and save me the step of figuring out how to import selected ones into the media gallery. Any advice for how to do this would be appreciated. If you need access, I’m happy to send that privately.

Martin Stehle

Thank you for all the desired login credentials via email, Vicki. I migrated many WordPress sites from servers to servers in the past. So I can find reasons for errors fast.

Just copying media files into the uploads folder is not enough. The files must be registered in the database, too. The media data are stored like posts in the DB tables wp_post and wp_postmeta.

In your installation the data of the images are missing. Only the data of the images found in the media library are available. Maybe they were uploaded after the migration?

One reason of missing data can be an original CMS other than WP and the lack of a complete data conversion progress (from source CMS data to WP data).

Martin Stehle

It seems that the origin CMS was WP, too. Because in the posts content the images have attritute values like wp-image-1234 with 1234 as the ID of the image in the WP database. But there are no entries with the IDs found in the contents.

The contents are well prepared to let the plugin work finely. If it would be possible for you to import the missing image data into the database you would not only see all images in the media library. The lightbox popup would work (now it is broken) and the plugin would set the first content images as featured.

Vicki Mills
    Participant

Yes I’m switching from one WP installation to another. I’ve spent hours trying to figure out how to migrate images properly and restore the Media Gallery. The site isn’t being duplicated, only the blog posts and images are being moved, so I can’t just copy the whole database over. I tried the xml export/import tool again, making sure to include attachments, but that apparently doesn’t move the media gallery data either. So I’m stumped. I realize this is beyond your plugin support, but could you point me to any resources that explain how to do this? Do I have to export/import specific tables from the database?

FYI, this might be a good task for a future plugin. 🙂

Martin Stehle

I am glad to help you. The normal way – and in my opinion the easiest way – to migrate data is

1. making a dump of the original database to get all data and import statements in a single SQL file
    2. changing the SQL file to the target domain name and saving the file
    3. importing the SQL file into the target database.

That way no data is lost. Point 2 needs some special knowledge to make it right. But is can be easier: There are migrate plugins like Duplicator helping you to backup and restore files and data from one server to another.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Martin Stehle.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Choose your currency:

Close
Converted prices are for reference only - all orders are charged in € Euros (€) EUR.
  • USDUS Dollars ($)
  • EUREuros (€)
  • GBPPounds Sterling (£)
  • CADCanadian Dollars ($)
  • AUDAustralian Dollars ($)
  • BRLBrazilian Real (R$)
  • INRIndian Rupee (₹)
  • CZKCzech Koruna
  • DKKDanish Krone
  • HKDHong Kong Dollar ($)
  • HUFHungarian Forint
  • ILSIsraeli Shekel (₪)