I don't think this quite does what I was after

Change 1000+ of WordPress Featured Images in 5 Minutes! Forums Questions and Answers I don't think this quite does what I was after

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

Hi Martin

The contact form didn’t seem to be submitting, so I thought I would post here.

I just bought this a few hours ago as per the thread here:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/pre-purchase-pro-question

I don’t think it’s going to do what I’m after I’m afraid. Its very powerful, but I need an option to add a featured image to all future posts only if the user has not added one when they create an event in events manager. If they do not add an image, I need the plugin to look at the category they selected and depending on that insert the image I have set for that category. I’m seeing my events manager categories to select, but I’m only seeing the option to replace ALL future featured images, not only if the user hasn’t added one.

Perhaps I am missing something? If so, can you help? If not, I guess could I ask for a refund please? I hope I’m just missing a way to set this up.

Regards

Robin

Martin Stehle

Hello Robin, I got your submitted text and answered to you already. Lets continue here to give other users help.

I wrote to you: There is an option for not overwriting existing featured images. Does that not fit your expectations?

Robin
    Participant

Hi Martin

Thanks for getting back to me!

Where is this option? Does it apply to future posts?
    I could not see it. Any screenshot would be a great help.

Would it also kick in if a user created a post with a featured image and then edited the post to delete the image, would it catch this edit and then add a photo?

Many thanks

Martin Stehle

For future posts it is the first option labeled ‘Activate to automatically overwrite an existing featured image while saving a post’. So to not overwrite existing featured images deactivate the checkbox.

The plugin will check every time when a post is saved whether there is an existing featured image and whether to overwrite it. If there is no image anymore after removing the featured image and a rule matches to the post while saving the post the plugin sets the new featured image automatically.

Be aware: ‘while saving the post’ by the editor! The plugin does not set the featured image automatically if the image was removed via a bulk edit process in ‘Set, replace, remove’ or if the editor just clicked on the link ‘Delete featured image’ on the post edit page. The post has to be saved again to let the plugin apply the rules.

Robin
    Participant

HI Martin

I saw that, but didn’t think that would do what I was after. Perhaps if I talk through the use cases:

Uses can create events via a form in buddypress. They click create and the event gets created with the custom post type of ‘event’ and the category they select. I can see the post type and categories in your plugin, so thats great.

When creating an event it is optional to upload a photo.
    I only want to have the plugin add a photo if the user does not add one.
    If they add one, I want their photo left alone as the plugin takes that as the featured image for the post.

I didn’t think it sounded like this check box option would cover this use case…

In addition to the above, there are a few more:
    Currently users can edit their events and change the photo. If the plugin inserted one for them I assume they will be able to delete this photo out and add their own?

The final one is, they have an event either with their own photo, or one added by the plugin. They click to edit the event and delete the photo without uploading a replacement. Will the plugin step back in add add a photo again? I watn it to, as I do not want events without photos.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Robin.
    Martin Stehle

Yes, the plugin satisfies all your expectations.

The plugin only adds an image if there is no featured image or if the ‘overwrite’ option is activated. If this option is deactivated the plugin does not change any existing featured image, either added automatically or added by user.

If there is no featured image the plugin adds one while saving the post automatically if any rule matches. So your users can delete the image and save the post, and the plugin adds an image automatically. (Without saving the post after deletion there is no new image – I think that is obvious.)

Your users can delete and change existing featured images at any time, even if the plugin did set the image in the past.

So you get every event with a featured image.

Robin
    Participant

Ok, thanks Martin!

Could I ask for you to check my settings at all?
    I’m not getting it working in that case. I set it to add an image to event category ‘Japanese cars’ if there was no event image. I created an event of this type without uploading an image and nothing got added 🙁

screen shot 1
    screen shot 2
    screen shot 3

Martin Stehle

Please change the setting in the second row (below the ‘overwrite’ option to ‘Do not use the first image’. I think that would work as you expect it.

Robin
    Participant

Hi Martin

Still no joy after changing that setting. I just created a new event with a ‘japanese cars’ category and it didnt get a photo added. Any other ideas?
    Would providing you a site log on help so you can have a look?
    Have I ordered the rules correctly?

Regards

Martin Stehle

Please mail me the login credentials to info at quickfeaturedimages dot com. I will take a closer look.

Martin Stehle

Thank you for the login credentials. The plugin works if an event is added in the backend. But in your scenario an event is added in the frontend.

The plugin only hooks in the standard function to add a default image. It seems that the WP standard function for saving posts is circumvented by the submission from the frontend, using a custom function by any other plugin.

If you would tell me which part of your installation manages the event submisions from the frontend I would try to find a solution.

Robin
    Participant

Hi Martin

Thanks for taking a look, thats a shame it’s not working via the front end form, as that is what users will need to use. That’s great of you to look a bit more at this one!

I am using this free plugin, which can be downloaded here to look at the files:
    https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/events-manager/

I have been having it customised so know that a good starting point is this file, as this is where the developer has been tweakaing the event creation for me (event creator no longer gets asked if the event should have tickets, what price they are etc., some extra cehcks on location etc.)
    Files=>plugins/events-manager/templates/forms/event-editor.php

If you want to play further with my site, change www. to staging4. and use the details I sent you, you can do what you like there.

Regards

Robin

Martin Stehle

Sorry, I can not help you. Your WP installation is too much customized and huge for my time resources.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Choose your currency:

Close
Converted prices are for reference only - all orders are charged in € Euros (€) EUR.
  • USDUS Dollars ($)
  • EUREuros (€)
  • GBPPounds Sterling (£)
  • CADCanadian Dollars ($)
  • AUDAustralian Dollars ($)
  • BRLBrazilian Real (R$)
  • INRIndian Rupee (₹)
  • CZKCzech Koruna
  • DKKDanish Krone
  • HKDHong Kong Dollar ($)
  • HUFHungarian Forint
  • ILSIsraeli Shekel (₪)