Need Thumbnails populated from first image in post

Change 1000+ of WordPress Featured Images in 5 Minutes! Forums Questions and Answers Need Thumbnails populated from first image in post

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    photomj
    Participant

Hello –

I’ve been reading about your plug in and am kind of confused if it will do what I need it to.

I have a stand-alone blog, that I’ve been running for over 7 years, that I have brought over to my new WP/Woo website. The posts came over fine, but my old theme didn’t require “featured images” to be set, because it just pulled the first image, in the post, and set that as the thumbnail.

So now, in my new theme, I have empty thumbnails!

I did NOT bring over the blog images to the new website/blogs media files, however the current blog still exists and the posts all have an image within them, even though they aren’t designated as “featured images.”

Can or will your Pro version of this plug in, pull thumbnails from the first image within each post, or since the link is in the post, to where the images reside on my old blog site, can it pull images from there?

I have no use for “random” images at all and I can set images moving forward.

I would just like to be able to generate the thumbnails for 7+ years of blog posts!

Thanks for any info.

Mj

Martin Stehle

Yes, QFIP can do that. The images can be on another server. QFIP will download them, upload them into the media library and set them as featured images of the respective posts.

Downloading a batch of images needs time. I am thinking such an old blog as yours would have many posts (more than 500 or so?) and thus many images to download. So running the process with only some posts will prevent timeout errors, which are not a failure of the plugin but based on a limitation set by the server.

To process small amount of posts please use filters. The Time Filter is very handy for that.

If that should not work you can contact me for support.

photomj
    Participant

Hi Martin –

Thanks for the quick reply.

My websites are all on the same server, so maybe that will help it move faster?!

Yes, I have a lot of posts to move over so I will use your suggestion to filter by time (I guess I can filter by months or years?) Then you would just run the plugin again for the next set of months or years?

Is there anything that can go “wrong” bringing the images over? Like the wrong images ending up as the thumbnail?

I always try and figure out problems before they happen!

I will definitely contact you with any problems.

Thanks.

Mj

Martin Stehle

You got it! Run the process again and again, e.g. month by month. The Time Filter let you define the time range to a day! So you can start with a single day and increase the period at every run as long as it works fast.

If both sites are on the same server the delay is very short and you can start with a longer time range, e.g. two weeks.

The only thing what could go wrong is insufficient disc space. The respective images will be duplicated, e.g. copied from the old place to the uploads folder of the new blog. That is necessary to be able to set an image as featured. For that it has to be uploaded into the library of the new blog. That way it has an ID and QFIP can assign the image ID with the post ID to tell WordPress that image is the featured image of that post.

Before you run the process I highly recommend you to make a backup of the current installation.

photomj
    Participant

Hey Martin –

The plug in worked like a DREAM! I just left you a glowing review.

This was a big task and I can’t believe it worked this easily.

Thanks so much.

Mj

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Choose your currency:

Close
Converted prices are for reference only - all orders are charged in € Euros (€) EUR.
  • USDUS Dollars ($)
  • EUREuros (€)
  • GBPPounds Sterling (£)
  • CADCanadian Dollars ($)
  • AUDAustralian Dollars ($)
  • BRLBrazilian Real (R$)
  • INRIndian Rupee (₹)
  • CZKCzech Koruna
  • DKKDanish Krone
  • HKDHong Kong Dollar ($)
  • HUFHungarian Forint
  • ILSIsraeli Shekel (₪)